|Imagine these chaps in yellow and we are close.|
In late 2010 I decided to document the uniforms of the 1740 army. In part this was tailored to the figures I was awaiting from Northstar. I had decided that their Austrians were just the ticket for my military due to the State's close proximity to Wien.
Whilst waiting and waiting (plus some waiting and a bit more waiting) for the delivery, I designed my colour combinations and worked on a whole host of elaborate schematics. During what turned out to be an epic struggle to get my goods, I came to the conclusion that the uniforms didn't "feel" right. This was due, in part, to my preference for the somewhat simpler "cuts" of uniform. Additionally the different styles (Hungarian, German and Grenz) seemed to over-power a relatively small military comprising only 13 Regiments of foot. Finally, it seemed an uninspired and predictable choice. I want a distinctive force not an Austro-clone!
As this is an ImagiNation and my painting progress had been stymied by late deliveries, I found myself in a serendipitous position - with lots of unpainted Austrians that could be quickly resold. So I took the plunge and decided to go with a Russian/French look. Thus the uniform plates will be redone - laborious but necessary. The regimental histories, standards and facings are going to remain largely unchanged.
|Simple yet attractive!|
Happily, I have plenty of mid-C18 French figures and these will now be worked on to create the first painted units. In fact dedicated readers will recall IR.10 von Klingenbach (WIP) was already exhibiting a Gallic flavour and is close to pre-painting completion!
However, this will not commence immediately as today I will be working on getting the first fort building completed...